Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Episode 51: No Rest For The Lazy

I've had a listen to Enya's Christmas album, And Winter Came..., and it's actually pretty good. Enya albums tend to sound more or less the same, and I didn't really like Amarantine that much compared to A Day Without Rain, but this latest studio album is definitely worth getting. Particularly interesting is the track 'White Is In The Winter Night', which is written in trochaic heptameter. It's pretty obvious, especially since the percussion is there to accent the lines. Oh yeah, Eliot essay is not going well. Introduction is out of the way, but I sense that progress is going to stall soon. I always try to be cleverly ambitious, and it backfires when you don't have the time to do it properly. Like I have all these ideas that I want to fit together like a jigsaw puzzle, but the pieces just won't click. It's going to be a typical case of starting strongly and finishing weakly. Need to have a better work ethic when I'm back in Singapore in December. One week of pure slacking, at the very most, and slacking meaning no writing, the reading must go on all the time. Anyway, hopefully I'll be able to get some sleep, which would be infinitely better than the last essay, when I got no sleep at all. To end off this entry, I leave you with an excerpt of the description of me that Alex wrote for today's exercise during the seminar:

Ian's glasses, jeans and shoes all have a style and a brand to them, but in a reserved subtle way that doesn't cloud your judgement of him, just hints at a fun and fashionable side. His appearance, combined with his clothes, suggest intelligence and a bit of class but in a way that you don't hold it against him, there's obviously more than meets the eye.

No comments: