Thursday, July 29, 2010

Episode 675: DPPS Day 2

Today's seminars were slightly more interesting. I'm starting to realise that I'm actually quite interested in international relations, at least in terms of thinking about it as consisting of games and strategies being played out on the geopolitical stage. Not interested enough to want to study it though. What intrigues me more are the elements of calculation and manipulation involved. Afternoon was a field trip to the Changi Prison Complex, which I thought was going to be a drag, but actually turned out to be a rather fascinating experience. Don't know how things went for those who went to the MHA Heritage Centre and the Home Team Academy, but I'm glad I got to visit the prison after all. Had a good chat with Chermaine on the way there, and it's good to know someone else who cares about local literature and has read enough of it to have formed opinions on it. We're both interested in doing a PhD dissertation on Singaporean literature, when we reach that point in our academic pursuits. Feeling a bit guilty about still not having finished reading The Road, so I'm going to try and get through 100 pages of that by tonight!

No comments: