Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Episode 8: Trying To Read (And Failing)

The title really says it all, doesn't it? Anyway, it's the second day of school and I've received my timetable. I have no free days, but technically speaking, my weekend begins at 11 am on Friday and lasts till 5 pm on Monday. Like how awesome is that? I had a lecture for EN121 Medieval to Renaissance English Literature, which was okay, I guess. Not really a fan of Middle English, although the history that Christiana traced for us was quite interesting. Tried looking for Dr Gardiner, my personal tutor, but I think he wasn't in, or at least I didn't work up the nerve to knock on his door to find out for sure! Also had my first seminar for EN122 Modes of Reading, which was pretty fun. My tutor, Adam Putz, seems like a cool guy, in the vein of Mr Rollason. A couple of people from my course share the same seminar group, so that's good too. I'm really liking my modules in general, and the hardest thing seems to be the reading that's required, as talking during seminars is more a matter of just saying what comes to mind than anything else. I did that thing again where I shut up for really long and then suddenly say a really long sentence to make a point about something. I hope I sounded fairly intelligent doing that, or I'd have failed to live up to the testimonial that Mr Purvis wrote for me when I graduated. Haha...

Popped over to Arthur Vick again to have dinner with Natalie, Wanxian and Yannis. There was salmon, which made me very happy indeed. If that fish were cheaper, I'd eat it every single day. Fish is, after all, brain food. Haha! I was less keen on the couscous. Taste-wise it's definitely okay, but I just find the texture a bit odd somehow. Can't really explain why. Not that I'm complaining, really, since I didn't even cook, so I've got no business finding fault with the food. Anyway, we got into a long discussion about Christianity with Yannis after dinner because he's agnostic, whereas the rest of us are Christians. It wasn't a very conclusive discussion on the whole. I felt a little disappointed with myself for not being able to provide some solid theological arguments to support the case for Christianity. Apologetics is something that I'll have to look into exploring, I think. No use believing something if you can't properly defend it, right? Guess this is something that I'm going to have to work on in the future.

No comments: