Monday, December 12, 2011

Episode 1176: En Route...

Have concluded that Economy Class on the upper deck of an A380 flight is definitely better than on the main deck. Apart from there being less passengers and what feels like better service, if two gates are used for boarding (as opposed to two exits within one gate), the upper deck gate has a way shorter queue and you won't be scrambling for a seat while waiting to board either. Didn't have any luggage issues this flight, apart from my carry-on luggage being slightly overweight. Thought it was odd that the counter staff asked to weigh it before the suitcase for checking in. Ended up removing stuff, weighing the luggage, and then putting the stuff back in! Managed to watch a couple of films during the flight, starting with The Smurfs! Loved Neil Patrick Harris, loved Smurfette's pop culture references ('I kissed a Smurf and I liked it'), loved the film's whole feel-good factor. Then I saw Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes, which I was prepared to hate because I've seen the original Planet Of The Apes with Charlton Heston. That and the trailer for Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes doesn't do it justice. It emphasises the apes running amok, but in reality, it's the humans who undo civilisation all on their own. It's a very minor subplot that I think could definitely have been better fleshed out, even if this film was supposed to reboot the franchise. The payoff for that bit of the story comes in the ending credits, where the spread of the virus to pandemic proportions is shown. Anyway, I've never been a huge James Franco fan, but I really liked him in this. Also saw Love Is The Only Answer, this bizarre Hong Kong film that tried to be too clever with its flashback-within-a-flashback storytelling. Somewhat entertaining, but I've seen better from all the actors involved in TV shows. Horrible Bosses wasn't too bad. Slightly cringe-inducing in places, mostly because I thought Kevin Spacey was too good for a lowbrow comedy like this. Finally, I saw Winnie The Pooh (and I'm not ashamed to admit it)! I really liked the old school Disney animation and how the fourth wall was constantly being broken, although having recently read all the stories, I felt like this film wasn't really bringing anything new to the table.

No comments: