Friday, December 16, 2011

Episode 1180: Warwick Library, I Am Not Impressed

Am almost done with House, co-authored by Frank Peretti and Ted Dekker. It's a suspense/thriller novel that clips along at a rapid pace, like most of Dekker's stuff. Finishing a book of his per day doesn't seem far-fetched at all, so I might just continue reading them alongside all the academic stuff I need to get through. On a related note, I'm currently being fined 20p each day because a book I placed a hold on was returned late, thus preventing me from borrowing it until someone else has placed a hold on it too. This meant what should have been a vacation loan for me became a three-day loan, although presumably, if I were in the UK and able to return the book, this other person would now be able to hold onto the book for the rest of the holidays. Doesn't really seem fair, does it? I'm basically being inadvertently penalised for someone else's inconsideration. The Library staff haven't been especially helpful, just reiterating what I already know and completely avoiding my gripe about the unfairness of the situation and that it's also physically impossible for me to return the book before the start of term. Ah well. Why should they, when they can just fob me off and collect the eventual £5.40 fine? For a university library, our academic provision is actually really inadequate. You definitely won't find me defending the Library in the future!

No comments: