Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Episode 1478: Ageing Teen Dramas

So The CW is finally premiering the rest of its shows. Have seen the first episode of 90210 Season 5 and I'm amazed that this was given the green light for a full season, whereas Gossip Girl only got a half-season order. (I'm already predicting that its timeslot mid-season replacement, The Carrie Diaries, is going to be this TV season's Ringer-style flop.) Don't get me wrong, I think the A.V. Club's D- review of the Gossip Girl Season 6 premiere is basically spot-on, and this is without even having seen the episode (because Gossip Girl has honestly become that predictable). I just figured the flagship show of the network would have been cut some slack and given a full season to send it off, though I suppose it's really The Vampire Diaries that's The CW's crown jewel now. Thought it's going into Season 4 this year, it's managed to avoid (so far) the fundamental pitfall of teen dramas, i.e. failing to properly handle the characters' inevitable growing up. 90210 and Gossip Girl, on the other hand, are perfect case studies of how a teen drama can go completely off the rails.

No comments: