Friday, August 06, 2010

Episode 683: Inception

Finally caught Inception this afternoon. Having read the various theories explaining the film, particularly its ending, it felt a little bit like cheating to be able to watch it without having to figure everything out from scratch. For the record, I'm with those people who argue that Dom wakes up to reality in the aeroplane, but I'm also with those people who say it doesn't matter anymore whether that's real, at least not to Dom himself. Not going to bother dissecting the film further, although I will note that Tom Hardy definitely has the best lines in it, and there's probably going to be a book forthcoming in that film and philosophy series I spotted in the library a couple of days ago that deals with Christopher Nolan's oeuvre. After Memento, The Prestige, and now Inception, I frankly don't see how it can be avoided. (Yes, I know I've left out his two Batman films. I'm sure they're philosophical too. It's just that they're, well, Batman films. Never mind.) So now that we've had our dreamscapes established as a valid setting for Hollywood films, let the imitators begin. With any luck, some of them might actually be interesting in their own right. Now if someone would just mash Nolan's ideas with some science fiction and write a novel, I'd read that. Heck, I'd even go so far as to buy it. (Come to think of it, isn't any science fiction novel that's ever had a virtual reality setting kind of already running with this train of thought? That's okay then.)

No comments: