Thursday, August 26, 2010

Episode 703: The Great Enigma

Boxes of books have finally arrived! I've got nowhere to store them though, so they'll have to stay in their boxes for a couple of days yet. Don't think there's anything in there I particularly want to read, so it should be okay. I've whittled down the number of library books I've got lined up to read too. Got rid of stuff that I was only marginally interested in, as well as a book that had been savaged in a review by
The Guardian. Am reading Cyberabad Days at the moment, before going on to tackle one of the books listed as preparatory summer reading for EN301. Had to wait the entire afternoon for the delivery, so I ended up finishing Tomas Tranströmer's The Great Enigma: New Collected Poems, translated by Robin Fulton. This is a volume of poems I've been trying to get through since before I even left for university! That it's taken me so long is a reflection on my lack of concentration, not the quality of the poems, which are filled with beautifully economical images, like this opening line from the first poem in the volume, 'Prelude': 'Waking up is a parachute jump from dreams.'

No comments: