Saturday, October 04, 2008

Episode 12: Freshers' Potluck

I met Conrad in the Library to work on the Yeats presentation for next week's seminar. It didn't feel like we actually got a lot done, but that's just me and my overachieving mentality. We did sort of figure out what each of us is going to be presenting at least. He'll do the close reading of 'The Second Coming' and I'll tie it all back to Yeats's interests in religion and the occult. My knowledge of that pretty much consists of what I gleaned from surfing this morning, but it should be enough to let me hammer out about 500 words, which is the estimated length that my presentation should be according to my handout. I really need to catch up on my reading for next week though, especially for Sir Gawain And The Green Knight, as I have to attempt to translate part of it as an exercise. Am so not looking forward to Middle English lessons! I'm generally good at languages, but let's face it, French isn't that hard to pick up. I'd probably be rubbish at something like, I don't know, Japanese? Though at least I don't have to wrestle with Anglo-Saxon, unlike Chermaine at UCL. Haha...

Went from the Library to the Freshers' Potluck organised by the Singapore Society. Bumped into people like Jeremy Ang, whom I probably haven't seen for more than five years. There was a lot of yummy food, including Jerrick's cake, which he is so going to make for my and Samantha's birthdays! Someone brought an awesome potato salad too. I guess I do sort of get sick of eating sandwiches after a while, although they're so convenient. Not enough to make me start cooking though! Anyway, the whole potluck just involved a lot of mingling and schmoozing really, but I spent most of the time talking to people I already knew. I bought a ticket for the trip to Cheshire Oaks because frankly, how can any Singaporean resist cheap shopping at a factory outlet? Practically all of my friends seem to concur. Seriously though, I need to buy more clothing that is specifically suited for the bloody cold weather we've got here! I'm completely not acclimatising, and this isn't even winter yet. Sigh...

No comments: