Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Episode 37: I'm Actually Doing Work!

Have managed to finish both the French essay and the EN121 commentary. I'm not entirely sure if the latter's actually what I'm supposed to be producing, but I figure I can't have screwed up too badly. When you take into consideration that I haven't even read Sir Gawain And The Green Knight, that's saying a lot. Completely forgot that I was supposed to go research literary magazines for today's session for The Warwick Review, so I ended up sitting in the room and keeping my mouth shut the entire time. Well, until the very end when we got to read some submissions and talk about them. I didn't really like most of the poems in my lot! Too much telling is what I would say about them. Had our last EN124 seminar for poetry, so now it's time to start thinking about producing that portfolio for after Reading Week. I'm a bit perplexed by what to do about the commentary portion though. Comment on the process of writing these poems? Not really something I consciously reflect on very often, I'll admit. I did get to read out one of my poems today, and decided to chop off the last two lines on the spur of the moment, which proved to be a wise decision. I don't think it's the best thing I've ever written, as that label still goes to 'Another Night On The Patio' for its ability to sound effortless when a lot of it is rather quite contrived, as well as having the most kickass opening lines I've ever penned. This poem I read out isn't too shabby though. I think I do sarcasm passably well, even in my poetry. Haha...

No comments: