Saturday, October 11, 2008

Episode 19: Unproductivity Strikes Again!

Woke up late, which is always a bad way to begin if you're trying to be productive. Had Marks & Spenser chocolate biscuits for lunch and dinner! I know, if I carry on like that I'm going to get fat. I live in daily terror of the possibility that when I get back to Singapore and step on the weighing scale, I'll see something like 80.0 staring mockingly back at me. It doesn't help that the official BMI limit for being overweight is apparently not appropriate for Asian body types and is in fact perilously close to what my current BMI is. (I do think it shouldn't apply to me though, since I'm actually taller than the average Singaporean male anyway.) Apparently, I should weight something around 65 kg, which is what I'm aiming for, but I'll probably end up looking like a stick at that weight because I don't work out, but doing so might paradoxically cause me to be heavier because muscle weighs more than fat. It sucks to be vain, really. Anyway, the point is that I didn't get much work done, at least not until about an hour ago, when I started on my EN124 writing assignment for this week. It's to write 30 rhyming couplets, the first 20 declaring how much you hate something, and the next 10 declaring how you love it. I decided to write about Singapore, since that seems to me a subject that just lends itself to the instructions really well. I'm also supposed to use a variety of rhymes, which is working out to be pretty interesting. I'm afraid form triumphs content here, since I don't seem able to make any sort of profound statement about Singapore. Tangentially, doesn't Ginsberg's 'Howl' remind you of Alfian Sa'at's 'Singapore You Are Not My Country'? Just a little? It just suddenly occurred to me while I was writing.

No comments: