Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Episode 23: The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas

Met up today with the other students on my course who're going to be taking The Warwick Review pathway for EN124. Sounds like it's going to be really exciting! Can't wait for next Wednesday. Anyway, the weather today has been one of those dreary spells that send people into depression. Grey skies, constant drizzle, coldness that nips at you little by little. To top it all off, I caught 'The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas' with Michelle and Stephanie at the Arts Centre. I felt like crying by the end, but I didn't, of course. Takes a lot to make me cry, I think. To feel emo, not so much. The film's an adaptation of the novel of the same name by John Boyne, an Irish novelist. Very moving, especially at the end, and it presents a different viewpoint on the Holocaust. I'm glad that the film adaptation remained faithful to the novel's ending, and didn't let the protagonist escape the gas chamber by some twist. That would have completely undermined the impact of the film as a whole. Things like the Holocaust terrify me, even if that sense of horror isn't always entirely palpable. It's just the idea that people could behave in such an atrocious manner toward their fellow men that gets to me. I was pleasantly surprised to see Vera Farmiga starring in it, whom I remember from her role opposite Jeffrey Donovan in the American version of Touching Evil, which was another of those good shows (like The Dresden Files) that got cancelled. I like brainless TV shows as much as the next person, but for goodness' sake, leave us some quality stuff too!

No comments: