Friday, October 10, 2008

Episode 18: Warm At Last...

Oh my. For the first time since I've been here, I can feel the radiator. I mean really feel it. On previous occasions, I've felt it radiating some warmth, but now it's actually generating enough heat such that if I touch it, I'll probably be burnt. Just drank half of my bottle of pear juice. It's yummy! Has real pear bits in it too. I did a bit of revision for LL208 after my EN121 seminar, which I went into clueless because I didn't end up reading Fitt 1 of Sir Gawain And The Green Knight. It went sort of okay, although the seminar group seems really huge compared to those for my other modules. Then I met Natalie and some of the other Law freshers for lunch at Bar Fusion. Had salmon with soba noodles and wasabi sauce, which was not bad. Yannis told me that I hold my chopsticks like I'm holding a calligraphy pen, which was news to me. Anyway, I really need to get ahold of a couple of Modern English translations that I can compare my own translation work against, as well as just read to get an idea of what's going on in the first place. I've borrowed J.R.R. Tolkien's translation from the Library, but I would like to get my hands on the translations done by W.S. Merwin and Simon Armitage. I actually borrowed quite a few books from the Library today, although some of the stuff I wanted was on loan. I think I need to be more 'kiasu'...

No comments: