Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Episode 64: French Society Christmas Dinner

Today was the first time in a long while that I went into a seminar having done the required reading. Or half of it anyway. I thought I'd be bored by the F. R. Leavis reading, but actually it was interesting in its own way once I got started. I do wish though, just sometimes, that I were reading stuff that I actually wanted to read and study. Went back to Le Bistrot Pierre again with the French Society for their soirĂ©e gastronomique, which set me back by about £25, including transport and tipping. It was worth it though! I had braised pork belly, which was an interesting experience. I don't think I've ever voluntarily ingested so much fatty meat before. Didn't really talk much to the other people, beyond the usual polite chitchat. The problem's mine, not theirs. Makes me wonder how I actually made any of my friends for the past 21 years! Anyway, we had to wait ages for the bus back to campus though, more than an hour in fact. Standing in the cold wasn't much fun, I can assure you. I had hoped to get started on reworking my introduction for the essay due on Friday, since a good deal of Wednesday and Thursday will be spent in rehearsals for The Culture Project, but between the time of night and feeling nauseous after a swaying bus ride, it seemed much more sensible to just fall asleep, which is exactly what I'm going to do right now...

No comments: