Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Episode 436: Terza Rima Woes

Have written 13 lines of my 91-line terza rima. I've got far enough that to quit now would be such a waste, but at the same time, I'm very conscious of the fact that I would much rather be in bed right now. Was in church this afternoon helping out with miscellaneous administrative stuff for Kidz Klub, which was a welcome change from my usual Wednesday afternoon, which prior to this would normally have been spent alternating between Facebook and TV shows, trying to procrastinate. It was actually very relaxing, and yet purposeful, so I'm looking forward to going back again next week. It sounds lame, but I could be happy doing data entry. It's a different sort of satisfaction from having written, say for example, this. Less intangible, that's how I would describe it. Anyway, the problem I'm having with the terza rima is the subject matter. How to write about a personal hell that you can't in all honesty say you've ever experienced? A couple of nights ago, Paul commented on how I always seem so serene, in the midst of it all. He's not the first person to have described me that way. He also asked if I would consider myself content, to which I had to reply in the negative. Yet that feeling of discontentment doesn't quite weigh on me. I get by quite fine on a day-to-day basis without thinking about it. Except on nights like this, I suppose. I wish I could do existential crises properly. Either that or be less finicky about getting things right and be more concerned about getting them done in the first place.

No comments: