Sunday, November 06, 2011

Episode 1140: What A Waste Of Time, Part II

The online searches took much less time to complete this afternoon, but if you could calculate uselessness per second spent, they would make the time spent writing yesternight pale in comparison. Hopefully, I've done the bare minimum required to pass. Started reading David Moody's Hater before bed last night, got through about 50 pages before I was too sleepy to continue. This is the kind of speculative fiction that I really enjoy, where some aspect of contemporary society is taken and given a slight twist, and then pushed to its logical conclusion. It's compelling stuff, and I can see why Guillermo del Toro wants to get it made into a film. There's even a blurb on the back cover from him, which says, 'A head-spinning thrill ride, a cautionary tale about the most salient emotion of the 21st century...Hater will haunt you long after you read the last page'. Right now though, I'm focusing on getting through as much of Julie Bertagna's Exodus as I can. I nearly ordered the whole trilogy a week or so ago, but I reconsidered and cancelled the order, just in case the first book in the trilogy didn't engage me. For the first few chapters, it was okay, but I wouldn't say it was worth spending my money on. I'm more than 100 pages in now, and I'm probably going to change my mind again and get the full set. Then I really need to stop buying books for the rest of the term!

No comments: