Sunday, February 05, 2012

Episode 1231: Writing Breakthrough!

Currently wondering if I can get away with writing a prologue to my story that's worded in the language of the 'adult reader', although the story as a whole is ostensibly for ages 15/16. It's there to sketch in enough background that the teenaged characters don't have to spout clunky exposition in the first person later, and it's also framed as being 'found' material from a digital archive. I'm fairly positive it should be okay, and for what it's worth, Microsoft Word indicates the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level of the prologue is 9.6, which converts to about the right age. In any case, it seems that I've finally made a breakthrough in getting a move on with the story. Have just over 1000 words, and if I keep up the pace for the rest of the week, which isn't impossible since churning out 1000+ words of fiction isn't the same thing as scrounging for 1000+ words of an academic essay, I should have no problem meeting the deadline without incurring undue stress. The next 1000 words or so is already written anyway, so it's just a matter of revising it to incorporate some of the material that was in the original version of the prologue that I workshopped.

No comments: