Monday, February 13, 2012

Episode 1239: Drive, An Art House Action Movie

I've joined Epicentre Magazine as Assistant Poetry Editor, and I replied to my first submission today. Within minutes of sending the reply, I became sucked into a back-and-forth exchange with a writer who was very persistent, to put it diplomatically. That and somehow her e-mails always sounded like they'd been generated by a chatbot, which was a very odd feeling to have. Funniest moment of the day, however, was when my mum sent me a Facebook message, asking if I was seriously running a marathon. No, I'm not. I'm just 'attending' my friend's Facebook fundraising event. Incidentally, Drive last night was excellent! It was basically an art house action movie, with sporadic but highly aestheticised violence. That scene in the lift where the Driver (Ryan Gosling) passionately kisses Irene (Carey Mulligan) before stamping a flunky's brains out was phenomenal. The minimal use of dialogue and careful soundtrack choices were also highly appreciated by yours truly, and I think after last night, it's safe to say that in the future, I will basically watch whatever film Gosling acts in or that Nicolas Winding Refn directs. So it's quite exciting that they're collaborating on not one, but two films. Only God Forgives is currently being shot in Bangkok, and they're also doing a remake of Logan's Run together.

No comments: