Friday, January 20, 2012

Episode 1215: You Can Never Have Enough China...

Heard China Miéville read/speak for the third day in a row, this time at another This Is Horror event. He was joined by Joseph D'Lacey and Mark Morris. I loved China's story, 'The Ninth Technique' (which I don't think has been published yet), but then again, I feel that way about everything he's written anyway. Morris's story about objects returning to haunt the protagonist was also interesting, kind of put me in mind of Audrey Niffenegger's Her Fearful Symmetry crossed with Adam L. G. Nevill's Apartment 16. Wasn't as keen on D'Lacey's story, which I thought was entertaining and played very well for laughs, but at the same time a bit lightweight. I didn't buy any books, although I'd thought about it beforehand, but it's just as well, since I've spent so much on books lately anyway. Speaking of which, that first Tucker Max book I ordered finally arrived, so I'm going to read I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell first, before continuing with Assholes Finish First, which I'd started on the flight back to the UK. Am now getting my weekly dose of The Secret Circle and The Vampire Diaries, and yeah, I think the former is finally starting to match up to its lead-in in terms of awesomeness.

No comments: