Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Episode 512: Stillborn Poem

Had meant to write a poem today after I got back from the Library, but I think striving too hard to make it happen has killed the idea temporarily. Will try again tomorrow, or perhaps later, just before I fall asleep. I find that tends to be a good time to get a few lines down in my N95, even if it usually ends up with me not being able to sleep until I've finished the poem. I have the basic idea in my head, and I'm just aiming for something a bit lighthearted this time, so we'll see how it goes. I was going through my repository of poems the other day, and after taking out everything that's ever been submitted for assessment or published in some form, I still have a hefty number to work with, should I choose not to write anything new at all for the EN238 portfolio due next term. Trouble is, the reason these are the leftovers is because I don't think they're actually that good, the exception being the most recent stuff that was done over the Christmas vacation. Some of the old poems could be reworked, certainly, and I've done it before. Again, we'll see how that goes. It's by far the latest of my deadlines anyway. Speaking of poetry, the reason I was in the Library this afternoon after LL209 was because I was reading Michael Hulse's stuff. It was, you know, just one of those random things I felt like doing. That and I don't really have the money to spend on acquiring his collections. (I also had to resist shelling out £90 for two pairs of Christian Audigier leather shoes this morning. Decided against them because while the shoes were selling for 36% of their original price, which makes them a steal, Christian Audigier is a really douchey-looking brand, and you know me, I'm a classy kind of guy. Haha! I forget how Alex described this last year during a EN124 seminar, but whatever it was, he was, and still is, totally spot-on.) Anyway, I really enjoyed Michael's work. It was a lot easier to read than David Challoner, who is proving to be a challenge to get through as I get further on in his Collected Poems. (It's a bit of an arbitrary thing, but I'm bothered that he doesn't use much punctuation.) Particularly appreciated some of the imitations that were included in Empires And Holy Lands: Poems 1976-2000, including 'Stopping By Woods Without A Map'.

No comments: