Thursday, February 18, 2010

Episode 514: The Return Of The Snow

It started snowing sometime after noon and didn't let up until not long ago. I know, insane, right? There's more forecasted, which is ridiculous. It did mean I had nothing to do except stay at home and work though. Couldn't even be bothered to put on a pair of jeans to dash across the road to buy that bottle of Coke I've been craving since I finished the last one. (I like it once it's gone a bit flat because I swear Coke here is fizzier than it is in Singapore.) I filled out half of the sheet for LL209 next week, but I'll actually have to watch Donne-moi La Main before I can complete the rest. I could fake it, I guess, but I feel like being dedicated, now that we've got around to doing things in class beyond (re)learning grammar. (My theory on this is that my slight obsession with patterns makes grasping grammar a fairly intuitive task for me. Will test this out with the next language I try to learn. It doesn't, however, explain why I was so rubbish at Chinese in secondary school, although perhaps I just wasn't mature enough then to appreciate the language, something that I occasionally find myself regretting now.) Still have to read Nathalie Sarraute's Enfance. Now that's going to be quite a challenge, reading a novel in French. Did a quick job on my Rossetti presentation for next week, which is smashing for the amount of time and effort I put in, and I've also marked out all the articles/essays I'm going to need to read for my essay on the poetic significance of sensuality in Keats's 'The Eve Of St. Agnes' and Rossetti's 'Goblin Market'. It's a lot of stuff, and definitely overkill. It's nice feeling so prepared though, and way ahead of the deadline as well. Whether this actually translates into better work remains to be seen.

No comments: