Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Episode 834: Hong Kong Dramas Are Just Better

One of my aunts recently lent my mother the DVDs for a Hong Kong costume drama, Beyond The Realm Of Conscience, so pretty much our whole family's been watching it. I can't pin down the reason why, but no matter how unbelievable the drama in Hong Kong programmes ( and there's an insane amount when imperial concubines are involved), it still feels more authentic than what we're getting from Mediacorp in general. Our English dramas sound jarring because the casts always appear to be uncomfortable with speaking English. Our Mandarin dramas used to be good. In the 1980s and 1990s! So the reason I haven't done as much work as I should have over the past week or so is because I've been trying to finish all 33 episodes of this drama before heading back to the UK! In a way, Hong Kong dramas of this sort are essentially like Gossip Girl, except morality is a lot more straightforward and the storylines much more contained. I suppose one would have to say the acting is generally heaps better as well. Now that I'm done with it, I can get on with my work in the remaining couple of days...

No comments: