Sunday, January 09, 2011

Episode 839: Happy Birthday, Mum!

Flew back to the UK on my Mum's birthday. There were more interesting films available this time. Watched Never Let Me Go, which I've been dying to see since the film adaptation was announced. Don't really see why Qantas classified it as arthouse though. It's not mainstream, I suppose, but it's not that niche a film either. Best scene was when Andrew Garfield is screaming after he and Carey Mulligan find out the truth about Hailsham, and she just holds him. Heartbreaking moment. Then I saw Life As We Know It, starring Josh Duhamel and Katherine Heigl. It was a pretty standard romantic comedy, except it really wasn't that funny! Interesting plot decision having the baby girl as the romance's catalyst though. Also finally saw The Social Network. My (belated) verdict? I think it was a fascinating film, although the attempt to balance the portrayal of Mark Zuckerberg at the end came across as too little, too late. The last thing I watched during the flight was six straight episodes of The Delicious Miss Dahl. Sophie Dahl does a great job in this series, and the food looks delicious. All that quoting of poetry felt a tad pretentious occasionally, although I loved the ones from Dorothy Parker.

No comments: