Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Episode 1317: ...In Transit...

Carry-on wasn't weighed, so score! Entire row to myself, so that I could actually lie down for a nap, also score! Wasn't as impressed by the in-flight movies on this flight though. I started off with Underworld: Awakening, which pretty much looked like it was directed by Michael Bay, except it wasn't. Was slightly confused by why Kate Beckinsale's character could walk in the sun, but I looked it up on Wikipedia and realised she did receive the ability as a gift from Alexander Corvinus in Underworld: Evolution. Way more perplexing was her ability to revive a dead vampire, though I did initially think it was a bold move to kill off Theo James's character, who was obviously meant to be the attractive (supernatural) male lead to Beckinsale's PVC-clad Selene. Ending of the film was clearly angling for a sequel, but really, I think that would be flogging a dead horse. Maybe even flogging the skeleton of that dead horse. A much more satisfying film was L'homme Qui Voulait Vivre Sa Vie (The Big Picture), based on the Douglas Kennedy novel and starring Romain Duris. I'll admit I only decided to watch it because I try to watch one French film, so it was either this or La Délicatesse (Delicacy) with Audrey Tautou. I don't quite know how to describe the film other than that it was very 'French'. The last film I saw was Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs, which was just a harmless romp. Of course, its plot could never stand up to a reality check, but it clearly isn't intended to anyway, so criticising it for that would be churlish, right?

No comments: