Sunday, April 18, 2010

Episode 573: Our Mediated Gaze

Have managed to finish my first non-fiction piece before leaving for London! It weighs in at 2168 words, cutting it real close. Like most of my longer pieces of work, I think it gets weaker towards the end. I'm definitely one of those writers which need a good editor. I think I was getting too hung up on laying out facts and figures, so the tone of the piece flags in parts. Oh well. It's time to move on! Hopefully, this piece about Singapore will take a lot less effort to write, seeing as I'm supposedly telling the reader about something that I'm the expert on. I've already got an idea for the opening, so I'll try to get that down tonight before going to bed. Still have no plans for what I'm going to do in London other than Troy's birthday dinner, but I'll bring my laptop along so that I can do a bit of work at some point. (Really need to get started on French stuff!) First though, I'm going to finish watching yet another religious-themed film. This time, it's The Reaping, which I remember wanting to see when it came out, but I'm thinking it's a good idea that I didn't. Yeah, the story's a bit of a letdown again. Maybe I'm just demanding too much? Hollywood films just don't seem to able to provide the kind of sustained development that I'm used to in novels.

No comments: