Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Episode 576: Back Up North (Relatively Speaking)

So I'm back home in Coventry, trying to do work but feeling too lazy to actually make a serious effort. I even procrastinated by watching the 2005 remake of The Amityville Horror. The things I subject myself to in the name of avoiding work! I've pretty much figured out the rest of the piece at least, but it feels pretty flat to me somehow, and I'm not sure how to fix it. Probably requires something like a complete change of topic, but it's a bit late for that, I think. Was reading Thom Gunn again on the ride back and feeling humbled by what I like to think of as the uninhibited restraint of his poetry. (Yes, I know it's a contradiction in terms, but I don't think anyone reading this really cares about my feelings on Gunn's poetry that much to warrant a detailed explanation.) Have also been reading a couple of the plays that I bought at Oxfam. (Only realised today that my copy of Kingfisher Blue by Lin Coghlan is autographed by the cast that premiered it!) Nothing particularly amazing so far, although Gregory Motton's God's Island had its moments, but got too caught up in its attempts at philosophising, in my opinion.

No comments: