Saturday, August 20, 2011

Episode 1062: Not Again?

Came home last night to discover that one of my external hard drives had stopped working. I can hear the drive spin up, it clicks once and then spins down, only to spin back up again, and so on. Don't think it's completely dead, as it's not making any weird noises like the last time one of my drives failed after I dropped it, so I've resorted to dumping it overnight in the freezer. The collective wisdom of the Internet said there's a chance this might work and get the drive to show up on my laptop long enough for me to grab some data off it, so fingers crossed. I honestly don't expect that it will, I have really bad luck when it comes to stuff like that (see the time I tried to fix my Nokia N95 by myself), but on the off chance that it does, it means not having to look for some very hard to find TV series all over again, so I'm willing to give it a shot. Fortunately, both my sisters and Eugene Chan have copies of some of my shows, and I still have some shows on DVD-Rs from years ago, so rebuilding the contents of this hard drive isn't going to be too hard. I even have that spare drive from the last drive failure that I got as a replacement under warranty. Don't think I'm going to send this one in though. There's a small chance it might still be under warranty too, but I don't think there's really a point. It's the data on it that I want back, not a replacement hard drive. Plus how good can it be? It's assembled in China.

No comments: