Thursday, February 12, 2009

Episode 143: Why Work When You Can Drink Instead?

The title about sums up my attitude, it being Thursday and all. Cheap drinks at Varsity are obviously more important than a flash fiction portfolio, Travesties essay and Renaissance poetry commentary. French wasn't a total waste of time, but increasingly, I don't think it's even remotely challenging, especially not if we're allowed access to a dictionary during examinations. My two weaknesses in French are a lack of oral facility and a grasp of French vocabulary to match my English one. The latter is remedied by a solid dictionary, which allows me to express in French what I'm thinking in English, complete with fairly impressive linguistic constructions. Actually speaking is something that I still have to work on. My accent is no longer as good as it once was, although pronunciation-wise, I am still fairly decent. Anyway, I have managed to bang out about 250 words so far, and I've got some idea of where the remainder is going to come from, at least for this flash fiction. The other one exists only as an idea. An intriguing idea, but still only an idea nonetheless. My head is still pounding slightly, so I've been watching the latest episode of Skins before going to bed. Can I just say that I'm damn impressed that the writers managed to have Effy and Pandora quoting the opening of Larkin's 'This Be The Verse', and without it sounding forced? I mean, I only picked up on it because I've read Larkin's Collected Poems. Otherwise, the reference would have completely slipped past me. Loved the choice of music in this episode! Trashy pop music. I liked seeing Effy fall apart at the end. She and Freddie totally need to get together. Seriously.

No comments: