Sunday, November 22, 2009

Episode 426: Rain, Rain Go Away

The weather when I woke up this morning was so awful, and I basically got soaked on my way to church. Weird hair for the rest of the afternoon! I suspect my French Connection coat needs cleaning, as after drying it against the radiator, a puff of vapour that smelt suspiciously like fried food rose from it. Must have been the Cosmo buffet. Anyway, we adjourned to Varsity after service as usual, to find that they've redesigned their menus, and naturally, to pay for all those nice new menus, I think the prices have gone up as well. I do so love their curly fries though. Came back home with the intention of getting some work done, but was sucked into the evils of American TV again because I still haven't caught up on all my shows from last week. Didn't have time to do work in the evening either, since I was at Claire and Adeline Jen's birthday celebration. Only stayed about two hours though, as I'd agreed to meet Dan at The City Arms for a drink. The pub was literally down the road from Claire's place anyway, so I burnt another two hours there. No alcohol though, as they're really strict about carding us, and I didn't have my passport with me. Had a lime soda instead! Conversation was delightfully rambling as always, covering amongst other things, the distinction between fantasy and science fiction, which was prompted by a desire to determine which genre China MiƩville belongs to. Personally, my rule of thumb is that magic is to fantasy what technology is to science fiction. Nonetheless, as Dan and I simultaneously pointed out, Clarke's Third Law states: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

No comments: