Saturday, November 28, 2009

Episode 432: Introductions Hate Me

We've been given a two-week extension for the report, but I handed mine in anyway because although it's not as good as it could be, it's as good as I can be bothered to make it right now. Plus once my close reading is done and my French test is over, I've got nearly two weeks of complete freedom from deadlines before I fly home for a short break. Speaking of which, the introduction to the close reading has been killing me all day since I started working on it. I know more or less what the rest of the essay is actually going to be about, but I can't find the right words to niftily summarise it in the introductory paragraph. Had hoped to finish at least that much before Gaby's party tonight, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen. Upon re-reading 'Ozymandias' for the nth time though, I have realised something amazing. It's a very minor structural thing, the sort of point I'd make right after the introduction just to get it out there. Anyway, it's basically how I think 'Ozymandias' is a sonnet that merges characteristics of the three major sonnet forms in English, i.e. Petrarchan, Spenserian, Shakespearean. Slightly tenuous, but it does have a sort of bearing on my final conclusion, about how 'Ozymandias' is like a matryoshka doll that hasn't been completely assembled.

No comments: