Friday, September 03, 2010

Episode 711: Time To Buy More Books...

So it seems like I've kind of given up on Gurr's book for now and gone back to Tom McCarthy's Remainder instead. So far, it's proving even more readable than I'd hoped, and yes, it still reminds me of Ishiguro's When We Were Orphans. It's more to do with the atmosphere the two novels evoke. Still have McCarthy's Men In Space to get through after Remainder. Have the feeling that I won't get through as many books while I'm in Singapore as I would like! Am probably buying more tomorrow though! Jay McInerney's stuff, as Kinokuniya stocks the American Vintage Contemporaries editions. Would've ended up buying the Bloomsbury paperbacks from the UK if I hadn't realised this. Seems a bit silly to bother about things like this, but I just like my books to look good together on the shelves. Nothing really wrong with that, right? Anyway, Lionel Shriver's written an article for the Guardian complaining about covers for female authors that might prove interesting. You can find it here. She makes some valid points, but methinks the lady doth protest too much.

No comments: