Thursday, September 23, 2010

Episode 731: New Albums!

Almost done with the review I need to write for Sabotage Reviews. Was initially going to be quite critical of this issue's fiction section, a position I would've backed up of course, but having re-read it, I've modified my position, including comments on both stories that I liked and disliked. Just need to finish a paragraph or two on the poetry section, which I generally found easier to enjoy anyway. As for my own literary journal, I've finally received a submission that I can say no to immediately, which has also brought home what my university tutors have said about clanging bad rhymes. I've posted calls for submissions on Craigslist, which might get some attention. Annoyingly, posting to the American or Canadian listings requires telephone verification using an American or Canadian number, so I've had to make do with posting to those of other English-speaking countries instead. Anyway, I've been listening to new albums from M. Pokora (Mise À Jour) and Maroon 5 (Hands All Over). The former is actually really generic pop, and not particularly spectacular either. It's In French though, so it's at least half a step above the gutter. Haha! Maroon 5, on the other hand, have turned out their best pop album yet, thanks in part, I'm sure, to their collaboration with producer Mutt Lange, whose production is a refreshing change from the likes of RedOne. I like RedOne's stuff, but his sound is way too pervasive in pop right now.

No comments: