Saturday, September 25, 2010

Episode 733: Would You?

Finished reading Bret Easton Ellis's Less Than Zero, which was actually a pretty depressing read. The characters truly raise apathy to an art form. What was most disturbing for me, however, was the fact that while part of me found their lifestyle appallingly meaningless, there was also a part of me that envied them and would be happy to lead a similar life of frivolity and excess. (Then again, wouldn't most people at least consider it, if given the chance?) I'm a bit of a cliché, aren't I? Not so much the drugs, I guess, but the trust funds. Yeah, definitely would like one of those. Am now reading Jay McInerney's Model Behaviour, which skewers New York City rather than Los Angeles. It's also a lot more light-hearted, so I'm going to breeze through it before I fly back on Thursday. Incidentally, in a weird little bit of cosmic synchronicity, I've just got my hands on the new Press Play album, which is titled NY2LA. Haven't had a chance to listen to it yet because I was doing PowerPoint graphics for my dad again, so I'll probably do that on the way to service tomorrow.

No comments: