Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Episode 716: Raiding Kinokuniya...

Spent more than $300 on books today at Kinokuniya. Bulk of it was on Vintage Contemporary and Vintage International editions, comprising books by Charles Baxter and Jay McInerney, among others. Tentatively, it's McInerney's and Bret Easton Ellis's novels that I'm bringing over this time, although I might change my mind again nearer to my flight. Also bought some local literature again, from Ethos Books, and I've just been to the Firstfruits website and ordered a whole stack of stuff too. Paid for the Firstfruits stuff using my NatWest account, since Firstfruits takes payments via PayPal. (I'm also running low on Singaporean dollars! See first sentence of post.) Tried to order something from Ethos's website too, but something went wrong when I tried to pay using my NatWest account. To be exact, I was told someone would be in touch soon, and this was after I'd already submitted my card details. I've checked though, and the transaction hasn't gone through, so perhaps they think I'm an overseas customer, even though I'm posting the order to a local address. Oh well. I wouldn't even bother ordering local books online, except I was trying to get copies of Alvin Pang's two poetry collections, and he's one of the local poets I admire. Anyway, I'm thinking if I should bring over local fiction and not just poetry on this flight...

No comments: