Friday, July 15, 2011

Episode 1026: What's The Big Deal About 3D Anyway?

Went to see the final Harry Potter movie with my sisters. In 3D, no less. This is the second 3D movie I've seen (the first being Avatar), and I'm still not impressed by the technology. It just looks like certain things pop up from the screen, and instead of creating a more realistic viewing experience, to me it just looks weird. I mean, even in real life, depth perception is more complex than that. I'm not quite sure how to explain it beyond saying that the gradient is more subtle than what you get in 3D movies. I guess I just don't see it as doing much by way of adding value to the experience of watching a film. So I don't think I'm going to watch the 3D version of a film in the cinema again in the near future. Also started packing this afternoon for my flight back to the UK on Sunday, only to realise that there really isn't a lot to pack. Am going to try and bring some books back, as I think I've once again overestimated the number that I need to have here with me in Singapore over the summer holidays. Hardly surprising, I suppose! Especially think it was a mistake to bring all the Singaporean poets' collections back without checking to see which ones were in the NLB system (probably all of them, to be honest), so I'm going to spend tomorrow determining this and packing accordingly. No sense in keeping my own copies here if ultimately I need them to be in the UK. Besides, it's not like I'd be depriving anyone by holding on to the library copies. I mean, I don't imagine too many Singaporeans are busy reading Singaporean poetry these days...

No comments: