Friday, July 29, 2011

Episode 1040: Faith Enough To Doubt?

Managed to get the review done before heading to cell. It was close to 700 words, yet I was still left with the feeling that I hadn't done the collection justice. I guess I just feel uncomfortable with making general statements that due to space constraints, I can't always back up with rigorous close readings of the poems themselves. I usually try to include at least one fairly substantial instance of said textual analysis in a review, and it's a technique that seems to work pretty well. Cell was more interesting than I expected it to be. We started working on Lee Strobel's The Case For Christ while I was away, and this week's topic was about doubt. In my personal experience, doubt has never been a serious issue for me. I think it's because I'm predominantly an intellectual believer, and correspondingly, an intellectual doubter. Yet things like the problem of evil, which do bother other people, don't trouble me at a personal, day-to-day level, and therefore to me, they don't seem a justifiable cause to lose faith. I realise this could change as my life and circumstances change as well, but at this point, that's my position on the matter. Ultimately, I suspect that what we all need is faith enough to doubt.

No comments: