Monday, September 12, 2011

Episode 1085: Which Module Should I Take?

Nothing quite like having to Google to check if your work's been rejected because you didn't hear back from an editor, despite being told that they'd get back to you. Seems like basic courtesy, no? A form rejection shouldn't take more than a couple of seconds to copy and paste anyway. I would know, although I actually still type out all my replies to submitters from scratch, even the rejections. Anyway, the title of this post sums up my present dilemma. EN904 Problems and Modes in Postcolonial Literature or EN978 Writing for Children and Young People? EN928 Poetics of Urban Modernism, which I'd picked for Autumn Term, has been rescheduled to Spring Term, so I can't do it anymore because I've already got another module I want to do then, EN911 Creative Writing, and if my dissertation proposal's accepted, the taught module I have to drop comes from Spring Term, for essay deadline reasons, I expect. If my proposal is rejected, then I'd rather be doing EN954 Romantic Elegy anyway! I guess postcolonial stuff would help with my dissertation to some extent, and I do like Neil Lazarus as a tutor, but writing for children just feels like it'd be more fun, and I think I'd like to have more fun with my MA. Not that the three years of my BA weren't, but we did have to slog through things like Sir Gawain And The Green Knight, which I totally appreciate, but in the Modern English translation. Considering I applied to do EN911 in the spring, I suppose in a way I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too for one more year, with half my modules being English Literature and half being creative writing.

No comments: