Monday, September 19, 2011

Episode 1092: Sing The Blues

Went with Bella to catch a local film directed by Kenny Ong, Sing The Blues, at Sinema Old School. (Forgot how tiring going up those steps could be!) It was part of this year's edition of the Singapore International Film Festival. Although the director, producer and screenwriter are all Singaporeans, the film was actually shot in Kyoto with Japanese cast and crew. The film is on par with other independent films I've seen, and the main character is based on Tatsuya Ichihashi, who spent more than two years on the run after murdering Lindsay Hawker. It imagines what might have happened to Ichihashi when he supposedly spent two weeks in Kyoto. The Q&A after the screening helped to clarify some elements of the film that I found confusing on a first viewing, so I'm glad I stuck around for that. Not sure if I'm going to catch any of the other SIFF films within the next couple of days. Might just stay at home and try to get through as much reading as I can before flying back? Aiming to at least reach and finish Issue 4 of Timothy McSweeney's Quarterly Concern, alongside with as many children's books as I can for EN978.

No comments: