Thursday, September 15, 2011

Episode 1088: A Change Of Pace In Reading

Haven't even got back to university and have already received two e-mails about conferences. Registering for neither though. One takes place before I get back, the other's on a topic I'm not interested in. (Modernism, if you must know.) Anyway, I've been reading books for young(er) readers. Finished Katie Davies's The Great Hamster Massacre not too long ago, and now I'm in the middle of Sally Nicholls's Ways To Live Forever. I'm not sure I could write for the age level of the former, but the latter, I could take a crack at that sort of thing. Nicholls's book is great by the way. You wouldn't think a book narrated by an 11-year-old leukaemia patient could be uplifting, but that's exactly how Ways To Live Forever feels. Once I'm done with it though, I need to get on with the titles I'm reviewing. Got another from Vagabondage Press, and a V. S. Naipaul title unexpectedly arrived in the post today. Never been a Naipaul person myself, but this first published novel of his, The Mystic Masseur, is supposed to be really funny and entertaining. We'll see!

No comments: