Saturday, September 15, 2012

Episode 1454: Back, Safe And Sound!

Have finally seen The Hunger Games, and I was not impressed. Couldn't find the love triangle between Katniss, Gale and Peeta remotely believable. I did enjoy how ridiculously, deliciously decadent the Capitol and its inhabitants were, although in film form, all the novel's symbolism seemed a bit heavy-handed. This isn't to say that there weren't bits I enjoyed, e.g. I really liked the interaction between Katniss and Rue, which I actually think was the strongest bit of the film. To be honest, it just didn't feel to me like the stakes for the Tributes were high enough. I suppose the next two films in the trilogy will ratchet things up? Maybe I'll actually get around to reading the books, now that I'm back in Singapore. You know, after getting through all my reviews and pending submissions for The Cadaverine. Also watched Wrath Of The Titans, which took plenty of liberties with Greek mythology, but was actually kind of fun because it didn't take itself seriously. Plenty of dialogue that was basically winking at the audience. I find it interesting that despite his star turn in Avatar, Sam Worthington hasn't exactly vaulted onto the Hollywood A-list. Don't get me wrong though, I actually like him more as an actor for that, and I'm sure his star will rise further when James Cameron finally makes the Avatar sequels.

No comments: