Friday, August 14, 2009

Episode 326: The Great Enigma

So I've finally finished reading Tomas Tranströmer's The Great Enigma: New Collected Poems. I'm not going to pretend that I understood most of it, although the imagery of the poetry was certainly evocative. I have a thing for haikus, so I particularly liked those. I am beginning to understand what Dan tweeted a while ago, about reading poetry rapidly and feeling like one hadn't fully absorbed it. Bear in mind that this is a book that I've been trying to read since about a year ago, so to have finished at all is, I feel, no small feat in itself. I can't help but wonder though, how much more I would understand if I had the leisure of time to analyse and ponder each poem. I will say that I found the short prose memoir appended at the end to be a much easier read than the rest of the collection put together. I suppose I'm a bit odd in the sense that I find it easier to read prose, but write poetry. I wouldn't necessarily say that in terms of reading either brings me more pleasure; there is a difference in the quality of the pleasure. That itself is an enigma worthy of some thought.

No comments: