Thursday, August 20, 2009

Episode 332: Oh Dear, I Actually Kind Of Like Britannia High...

I know this means that my taste in TV has probably sunk to a new low, at least by the standard of the average person, but I've just finished the one and only series of Britannia High, and, believe it or not, kind of enjoyed it. The plot is nothing to shout about, although I like the twist that neither girl gets the guy, or even wants him by the end. It's really the songs that I like. Shamelessly commercial pop that pushes every conceivable button in the radio-friendly lexicon. Well, the dance moves were good as well. I always envy people who can dance; I lack the necessary coordination and absence of self-consciousness. Anyway, my point is that with the right music, the plot, however banal or bland, becomes less important. (Come on, Britannia High was essentially a whitewashed version of Skins set in a performing arts school!) I'm thinking in terms of musicals, naturally. In an ordinary film or play, the lack of a decent plot would be fatal. I'm actually kind of curious as to what sort of songs we're eventually going to have in our musical. All this talk about music is making me miss singing again...

No comments: