Monday, August 24, 2009

Episode 336: Don't Squash That Cockroach!

Had a quick listen to Cobra Starship's Hot Mess and Frankmusik's Complete Me, and came away not particularly impressed so far. I guess I'm a bit over the hype behind the latter, while the only track I really like from the former is 'Good Girls Go Bad', featuring Leighton Meester, so I figure I'm better off waiting for her debut album to drop. Started the day by firing off some e-mails, including one to book my ticket back to the UK. Have spent most of the day since reading Tyler Knox's Kockroach, which takes the premise of Kafka's The Metamorphosis, turns it on its head, and relocates the action to Times Square in the 1950s. The novel shifts between three characters' perspectives, recounting the rise of the cockroach-turned-man to the heights of the mob scene. The result has been incredibly readable so far and I would recommend it to anyone who's read the Kafka original, especially my coursemates who've done EN123. I freely admit that I've never read The Metamorphosis, but I have every intention of doing so once I get back to the UK, which is where I've left the Kafka anthology I bought before flying off last year.

No comments: