Saturday, August 22, 2009

Episode 334: Library Books Sale

Went to the library books sale at Expo. Only Mel was with me in the end, since Thong was there really early for some reason and had decided to go home, while Eugene was too tired to bother showing up. When I got there, the queue spilt over into the adjoining hall, which was a bit of a shock. I would say that this reflects a healthy love of reading in Singapore, but I suspect it's more a case of loving the bargain bin prices. $2 for books written in English or Chinese, $1 for those in Malay or Tamil. Really quite a steal! I only got five books though, and they weren't things I was desperately looking for, just the sort of thing I wouldn't mind picking up on the cheap. Traveling The Eurail Express might come in handy though, should I do some sort of tour of continental Europe. Was hoping to find some poetry, but collections were far and few between, and nothing particularly striking, to me anyway. Guess I'm going to have to do some hunting in charity shops when I get back to the UK. Have begun reading Hilton Obenzinger's A*hole, which is the sort of manic experimental fiction that I really like, but find impossible to interpret coherently as I'm reading it, let alone write in that style. I'm beginning to see how the different narrative threads are intersecting/interweaving, but I'm not sure what exactly is the big picture.

No comments: