Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Episode 345: Derailed Day

Was supposed to spend today getting on with the script, but wound up sorting music by Do As Infinity and The Veronicas in iTunes for the better part of the afternoon and evening. I've decided to give up on trying to finish the library books for now, since Jane Smiley's 13 Ways Of Looking At The Novel can be found at the Central Library in Coventry, and I've made up my mind to purchase Memory: An Anthology, as well as Secret Ingredients: The New Yorker Book Of Food And Drink, the latter partly on the strength of the following two sentences: 'To make a tomato get sweeter without falling apart not only is technically demanding but demonstrates, with a stubborn, sublime logic, an extremely abstract botanical point. Tomatoes are not vegetables; they are fruit.' I don't know about you, but those couple of lines by Adam Gopnik struck me as being rather beautifully written. So instead, I will spend time trying to finish my Spanish and Italian courses, and to read a few Joanne Harris novels because I don't intend to bring any back to the UK. I'm carting about 25 books over this time, although that plan may change if they prove too heavy. Priority goes to the clothes that I need to take with me, since I have plenty of books in Coventry already, but I brought a good number of nice jeans back for summer!

No comments: