Saturday, September 12, 2009

Episode 355: In Future, Don't Tell Me...

I've lost weight. Unless I ask you first, of course. I'm not so obsessed that I diet regularly (although I occasionally skip breakfast), but it does bother me when people tell me that I look like I've lost weight. For one thing, due to a mild exercise regimen I started more than a month ago (which has since grown to involve 200 press-ups, 50 sit-ups and 100 standing heel raises, with vaguely weekly increments), I've sort of gained a bit of muscle, and my weight is inching closer to what it was before I went through the army (during which I lost quite a lot of weight in fat). If I wanted to lose a few pounds now, I'd have to start doing some aerobic exercise again. Like running. Unfortunately, I'm a bit too lazy to actually do that. So far. Anyway, the whole point of this post is that this afternoon, after having lunch with my grandmother and aunts, one of my aunts commented that I've lost weight, but my face has got fatter. The latter is actually true, in that while I still have a decent jawline, I also have a slight double chin and my face is no longer as lean as it was when I got out of BMT. The former though, whenever I hear it, just makes me wonder if the person has all along considered me a bit hefty and just never dared to mention it. Now you know what goes through my mind when you tell me I've lost weight. So please, don't tell me that. It's not true, and it just leaves me slightly disconcerted.

No comments: