Saturday, February 05, 2011

Episode 866: Spring Awakening

Went to see the MTW production of Spring Awakening with Laura in the afternoon. I thought it felt a bit disconnected for the first couple of minutes, but by the time we got to the interval, it was solid. I must say, that sex scene was pretty graphic, although that's not quite the adjective I should be reaching for, since there was hardly any baring of skin. I mean, I've seen full onstage nudity before when I saw Quills way back in my JC days, and this was practically PG in comparison. I suppose, however, that's what made it such a disturbing moment. Now for a few comments on the singing. The lead couple was impressive, especially the guy's ability to switch to falsetto. (Having sung pretty much all the parts in an SATB choir at some point during my four years as a choirboy, I have immense respect for any guy who has the control and technique to use it.) The chorus blended well, although occasionally when they had solo lines, it was hard to make out what was being sung. Could've been miking issues, but I'm definitely sure some of the supporting cast could have enunciated more, and this includes the speaking bits as well. One thing that did bother me a little was the disjunction between the German setting and the relentlessly contemporary nature of the song lyrics. That may have been why the performance didn't feel to me like it was meshing initially.

No comments: