Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Episode 870: If You're Crap At A Language, Ever Think It's Actually Your Fault For Not Trying Harder?

Okay, Carol Rutter's lecture today didn't quite sell me on Othello either. To be fair, I'm more into Shakespeare's comedies than his tragedies. Except King Lear. Not quite sure how I'm going to get hold of a copy of the adaptation that I'm meant to be commenting on in the seminar after Reading Week though! Then I had French, where there were lots of freshers whining and bitching, when really what they needed to do was put in more effort. I mean, come on! I can't believe we're still going over the agreement of past participle endings, and people who presumably should know better by now just don't get it. They grumble about not learning anything in the seminars, but it's patently obvious that most of them have a tenuous grasp of the language that would be much improved by complaining less and putting in a bit more effort. Just so we're clear though, it's only the English freshers displaying such abysmal attitudes. It really does my head in, having to put up with people like that. Makes me wonder why they even wanted to do French at university since they appear to have so many issues with it! Skipped the AdHoc meeting (again) to go and help judge the poetry slam audition for Ugly Cousins Club. Then I went to the Javier Cercas reading in the Arts Centre because George Ttoouli was handing out free tickets. Would probably have gone anyway, but this just meant that I saved a few quid. What's not to like about that?

No comments: