Sunday, January 04, 2009

Episode 104: Stressed!

Just got back from a meeting for The Culture Project. Have not studied for the test tomorrow, which consists of two sets of about 10 lines, one taken from Sir Gawain And The Green Knight and one taken from any of Chaucer's tales that we've studied. The small consolation is that glosses will be provided, so perhaps not all is lost. I still feel slightly guilty about walking into a test completely unprepared though, so I will try to read as much of Tolkien's translation of Sir Gawain And The Green Knight as I can tonight. It's more than 2000 lines, but I'm sure if I focus, I can do it. Heck, I could probably read the original Middle English text, but it doesn't seem worth the effort, not when the test doesn't count for the final grade and serves more to scare us into putting in more effort. If I don't fail, or barely scrape through, I will be quite disappointed. Need to start thinking really hard about 'Howl' again, and am a little worried that I won't have enough to say about its 'redeeming social importance'. At least I have a very clear idea of what constitutes a First to my tutor, so I'm not writing blindly. Would be nice to produce something utterly brilliant, especially by bringing in Aristotle, Burke and Shklovsky properly, instead of just contriving a few lines and twisting quotations to fit. We shall see...

No comments: