Friday, July 24, 2009

Episode 305: School Attachment Day 14

So it's finally over, and with it, the routine that's governed the past three weeks of my life. It's been an eye-opening experience, both in terms of seeing how a school is run, as well as how people react to the school environment, whether as staff or as students. Having been at NVSS for the past couple of weeks, I can honestly say that my previous conception of the school has been overturned. I sincerely wish everyone there the best, especially the students about to take their 'N' and 'O' Levels. Maybe it's just me, but I get used to things very quickly, so having to show up in school from Monday to Friday was less of a chore than it might seem. Especially towards the end, I got to do a lot of reading, for which my fellow scholars mercilessly teased me. Hey, it's not my fault if I managed to finish all my work earlier! Anyway, started reading the first volume of Chad Oliver's selected stories, A Star Above It, and so far, I'm really liking it. It's science fiction, but with an anthropological and cultural slant that really appeals to me. I have a thing for alternate histories and projected futures, simply because what-might-have-been and what-might-yet-be are concepts that I find genuinely fascinating. Where have we come from as a species, and where are we going? Some of the answers Oliver's stories provide give me pause, and I like how his future societies aren't all cybernetic nightmares, although those can be interesting reads nonetheless. I managed to finish more than half the book in about five hours, which is pretty impressive, given how I proved totally incapable of reading the vast majority of my course texts during the past academic year!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It is a very nice and good post. Keep up the good work